Arrogant Bastard Ale
Stone Brewing Company
Style: American Strong Ale
“This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this”
This is the quote printed on the back of every Arrogant Bastard bottle, and I think it sums up this ballsy beer to a T. This ale is definitely not for everyone, but if you DO happen to acquire a taste for it, Arrogant Bastard can quite possibly become your favorite beer. At 7.2% alcohol content, AB packs a punch, especially since it comes traditionally in 22oz. bottles. A few of these puppies and you’re off to the races! The first sip packs the biggest swing, and you’ll definitely taste the insanely hopped up flavors of the ale. I’ve heard, jokingly, that to the uninitiated, the first taste can be compared to anything from strong coffee to motor oil, haha, but seriously, it’s neither. It is a rich, deeply complex, and rewarding ale for those willing to give it a chance. It stands as one of my favorite ales of all time, and is a testament to what I believe REAL beer should taste like.
- Value: Arrogant Bastard isn’t really cheap or overly expensive, by volume. At around $3.79 – $3.99 a bottle, you’ll get 22oz of GREAT ale.
- Flavor: Hops out the wazoo. Dark, bitter, and supremely refreshing. It takes a few sips to really call it, but a truly great beer lurks inside.
- Aroma: Honestly, I think it smells like baked bread with a splash of balsamic vinegar, really mellow.
- Drinkability: It’ll punch you in the face at first, but ride it out, you’ll be smiling and enjoying it in no time.
- Buzz Factor: At 7.2%, 2 or 3 will get you where you need to be. And it’s a much better ride than its inferior counterparts. Sort of like an S Class Mercedes vs. Geo Metro
- Final Verdict: This beer is great, grab a few, enjoy.
Outstanding, only the finest Brew can attain the almighty Four Caps of Glory